Stonehenge Aerodrome and the Stonehenge Landscape

BookStonehenge Aerodrome and the Stonehenge Landscape

Stonehenge Aerodrome and the Stonehenge Landscape

Stonehenge World Heritage Site Landscape Project

Research Reports


June 15th, 2014





Between 1917 and 1921, Stonehenge had an aerodrome for a near-neighbour. Initially a Royal Flying Corps training establishment, from January 1918 it became the number one School of Aerial Navigation and Bomb Dropping, home to a contingent of RNAS Handley Page bombers. The aerodrome featured two camps either side of a take-off and landing ground, the first located close to Fargo Plantation, and a subsequent and more substantial technical and domestic site situated either side of what is now the A303, a few hundred yards west of Stonehenge. After the war, the aerodrome buildings became the focus of debate about what constituted unacceptable modern intrusions in the Stonehenge landscape. Following a public appeal the aerodrome and neighbouring farmland was purchased, the buildings dismantled and removed and thus the Stonehenge landscape was restored to something deemed more appropriate as a setting the for the monument.

Author Information

Martyn Barber is a Senior Investigator, Aerial Survey & Investigation at English Heritage. He is the author of Bronze and the Bronze Age (2003), and co-author of The Neolithic Flint Mines of England (1999) and The Creation of Monuments (2001).

Table of Contents

Section TitlePage
1. Introduction 2. Stonehenge aerodrome and the Stonehenge landscape - an overview 3. Fargo Cottages 4. Stonehenge aerodrome: background and origins 5. Use of the aerodrome 1917-1922 6. The development of the aerodrome 7. The aerodrome and archaeology - dameage to earthworks 8. Sale, auction and demolition 1918-1939 9. The disappearance of the aerodrome 10. Did the Royal Flying Corps - or anyone else - Really want to knock down Stonehenge? 11. Freeing the circle Bibliography